Saturday, October 22, 2011

Weathering the Gourd Face

Tuesday, I had four wisdom teeth removed.

The doctor said it "went well" and I should be "up and ready to be off pain meds by Friday."

Lies.

It's Friday and my face has only grown increasingly in size. Mostly on the left side. It's all out of proportion. It got to the point where I was so distressed that I grew nauseous whenever I saw my face in the mirror.

Needless to say, I've been avoiding the bathroom. And other reflective surfaces.

I look something similar to these vegetables:


Mostly the one on the right. Hannah posted on facebook: "I can be your friend/ if your face is puffed or yellow/ we can have fun/ I'll share my jelloooo!"


However, I've found some solid things that are helping me get through the messiness.

  • My dad. Pretty much a clutch decision to come home rather than get the teeth removed in SC. He's been amazing. Getting me food, making pancakes and milkshakes, waking up at 3am to deal with me crying, waking up at 3am to make sure I take my antibiotics, taking me to the dentist right at 8am to get prescriptions, etc.
  • Sleeping upright.
  • Pain meds. As I said in the midst of the kidney stone, I am no stoic when it comes to pain.
  • Card games dictated by Isaac's crazy rules.
  • Netflix: Monk, Lark Rise to Candleford, Downton Abbey, Dr. Who, and more.
  • Ballroom videos. Not of me. Mostly of Seth and Ali, Diego and Cherry, and Vaughn and Laura. They get my mind off of myself with the greatest ease.
  • It's hard to read on pain meds. Nothing makes sense. But dad has read outloud to me which was helpful. I've liked that.
  • Naps. Lots and lots of naps.






No comments: