Sunday, February 26, 2012

Blogging Neglect

In "The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul", Doug Adams has his main character, Dirk Gently, meditate on the refrigerator that looms in the corner of his kitchen. Sulks, even. This fridge has a personality and a menacing one at that. It is so filthy inside that it is an unspoken war between him and his cleaning lady as to who will open it first. Neither of them does. He contemplates just having the entire fridge thrown out and getting a new one.

But it hangs about the back of his mind like a shadow.


And that, my dear readers, is what I feel about this blog.

It is looming. It is menacing. It gets angrier the longer I neglect it. And yet I cannot think of a single thing to tell it. To tell you.

"We are unwilling to speak unless we are to say something that will amaze the whole room."
"This bears no striking resemblance to your own character, I'm sure."

[name that quote]


2 comments:

Annie said...

I feel similarly right now. I don't have anything I feel compelled to post about yet, but it's almost as though my blog is demanding I write something.

And the quote - Pride and Prejudice?!

Chelsea said...

We just read this quote in class this week! I've had this scene floating through my mind ever since.

I have the opposite problem: by the time I sit down to write, so many blogworthy events have occurred that I feel sheepish writing about the first few.

I liked the "Loneliness Will Eat Me" post. Thank you.