Thursday, April 12, 2012

Tell It Small

At Calvary all-staff meetings, one of the pastors asks the question:

"Where do you see God working?"


We call these "God stories." We are asking each other to look for the Divine, for the mysterious. We are asking for quick snapshots of stories long in the making.

People answer with stories about prayer. With stories of lives shifting. They tell the starts and the middle of stories--rarely is anything completed).

But I don't answer. I can never think of an answer. All I can think is how I want to I want to answer like this:

Last Saturday, I went on a hike in Shingletown Gap. There was a breeze and bright sunlight and we walked on a ridge that overlooked the Valley. And when we came back down to the Rush, my friend sipped the creek water from his hands as he balanced on moss covered rocks. And the water that fell through his fingers caught the sunlight and looked like glimmering fire.


I think this should count.

2 comments:

Robbie Parks said...

And that is exactly where God *is* working! Be bold in bringing a fresh, new perspective to your meetings. For it is in the new things, the things that we don't normally pay attention to, that we find growth and see God in a new light.

"When through the woods and forest glades I wander
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze

Then signs my soul, my Savior, God, to Thee! How great Thou art! How great Thou art!"

Hannah said...

I consider it a personal fail when I don't make it into your blogs... especially when you are talking about things that happened on my birthday... Just sayin.