Friday, June 29, 2012

Bulgaria

I'm leaving for Bulgaria in a week.

(...)

I think I need to say that more than once a day so I actually start believing it.


Where is Bulgaria?

North of Greece. South of Romania. West of Turkey.

I'll be in Elena, where the red pin is.

So when I went to ask for a travel guide from AAA, it wasn't supposed to be a weird question. Anjali suggested it. AAA wasn't hard to find either. I just sauntered in last evening and asked the lady if they did indeed have free travel guides. She said yes. I replied that I needed one for Bulgaria.

She snorted. [That description is not an exaggeration]

"I'm sorry," she said when she regained her composure. "We only have guides for countries, like, in Europe."

I blinked a couple of times.

"It's right next to Greece. Is Greece not considered Europe?"

"Oh," She muttered, clearly realizing that she had imagined the country to be in a very different geography location, "Fine, I'll look."

She was right. They didn't have a guide for Bulgaria. Nor was there any information in the general "Travel Europe" guide.

I walked out empty handed but amused: Bulgaria is in the EU. I think that counts as Europe.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

this irritates me. Both geographical ignorance (including my own) and the fact that many place so little value on travel outside of Europe or equally "developed" places.