Thursday, April 24, 2014

Easter

Candle lit from "Jerusalem Fire"
Христос воскресе! Воистину воскресе! (Hristos voskrese! Voistinu voskrese!)

He is Risen! He is risen indeed!

A year ago, I prepared a pot roast to go with an extravagant potluck meal for the "misfits": anyone without a place to go for Easter. It was a surprising crew: some students from Elements, lots of ballroom friends, unexpected Easter church shows, friends who didn't show for church but wanted food, my dad who drove up to be with me and Hannah. It's hard to believe that was a year ago. It's hard to believe how far away it feels.

Easter Feasting in my living room
This past weekend, I had several Fulbright guests come and join me for the holiday. We read from Scripture, went to a midnight Orthodox service, went to a protestant morning service, sang on the train tracks, drank rakia, and ate more food than we could really hold.

It was so good to have company. It was even better to have company that wanted to celebrate the holiday and remember each piece of it with me.

Singing on the tracks.
It was a reminder of new life. So many pieces of the weekend were about reviewing the things we hold dear, that have made us who we are. The Bulgarian context made us remember all the differences we knew growing up.

Do you know this song? Did you sing this in Sunday school? What did you do for Easter dinner? How do you make deviled eggs? How are the accounts of the resurrection different from each other?

We also drew in new traditions from our Bulgarian home. козунак, a sweet bread with orange peel and turkish delight. Egg smashing (a fight where you see whose egg cracks first). Stroll through town after church. Bulgarian greetings.

Being far away from home makes you realize the important things to you. What will you keep? What will you not keep? Some things I don't miss. Mom said growing up that Easter was her favorite (after Thanksgiving). I couldn't get why. Now I do. I'm keeping Easter.

Train Track picnic before Easter Dinner. This was right before the drunk man tried to get us to go drink with him and we packed up and went inside.



 

No comments: