Wednesday, December 31, 2014

2014 In Review

This year was Bulgaria. And Return. I feel a broken mind when I think about the year, like I was two different people or two different time streams or a wild break in the time space continuum. A year ago, I went to an elegant dinner with Marie and Mane outside of Jonshiping, Sweden. Fireworks went off in the street and we stood between the houses of exploding flames with glasses of champagne. A good start.

What did you do in 2014 that you've never done before? 
Seen Croatia. Loved it.
A rich easter with friends.
Red cross relief effort.
West coast swing event
Conducted interviews


Did you keep your New Year's resolution and will you make one for this year? 
2012: Just do it. Stop waiting.
2013: Yeah... about that..
2014: wear more dresses. drink more beer.

I totally kept it.

2015: Love what you've got.

Did anyone close to you give birth?
Maggie! Twins!

Did anyone close to you die?
My grandfather: G-Dad, Al Jenkins

Did anyone close to you get hitched?
Jessi and Joe
Sam and James

What countries did you visit? 
Bulgaria
Croatia
Bosnia
Kosovo
Czech Republic

What date(s) from 2014 will remain etched upon your memory?
June 29, the day I left Bulgaria
July 26th, the day I came home
August 26th, the day I started grad school

What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
Wholeness

What's your biggest achievement this year? 
My BEST speech and debate team!
Making friends in Dobrich: Kal, Rozi, Sylvia, Irina

Biggest failure?
Living under fear.

Did you suffer illness or injury? 
Depression last January and February. Bad news bears.

What was the last thing you bought?
A memoir at Tattered Cover in Denver

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Anyone who wrote me a letter.
Seth Martin for being the bestest roommate
Rozi for her support of me throughout the spring
MY KIDS

Where did most of your money go?
Travel.
Writing workshops in Prague.

What did you really get excited about? 
Prague Summer Writer's Workshop and the response to my writing. Namely, the awesomeness that is Patricia Hampl was teacher and human being.

Coming home

The debate tournaments with my students

First ever west coast swing event and a second place win!

What song will remind you of 2014?
"Photograph" by Ed Sheeran

Compared to this time last year, are you happier or sadder? 
Confuzzled

What do you wish you'd done more of?
Learning Bulgarian.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Fearing

What was your favorite TV show?
Parenthood.
Sherlock.
Doctor Who!

What were the best books you read? 
Lila by Marilynne Robinson
The Florist's Daughter by Patricia Hampl

What was your best musical discovery?
Bulgarian folk dancing

What did you want and got? 
Prague
Folk dancing
Bucknell

What movies did you see in cinema? 
Gah. I don't even know. I saw movies at random times throughout Bulgaria. "Fault in Our Stars". "Divergent." "Princess of Monaco" "Interstellar"

What did you do on your birthday? How old did you turn?
25. Dinner at Made in Home with Fulbright friends then a beer night with the whole crew.

What one thing would have made this year more satisfying? 
Slower fall. Better relationships in my town. Teaching conclusions.

How would you describe your personal fashion?
I can pack it in a backpack and go. Dresses and leggings.

What kept you sane?
Skype home.
Robbie Fraleigh.
Hannah Allen and Sarah Craycraft discussions on faith, life, and feminism
Erika Sanders for her sane and caring self and the refuge of her apartment in Ruse
Folk dancing.
Salsa.

Who was the best new person you met?
Sylvia. Kal.


What was a valuable lesson you've learned?
Keep going.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hate when I don't get a mention.

Something to work on this year then I guess.